The last few weeks have felt like there simply isn’t enough time in the day. Do you ever feel that way? I have a HUGE laundry list of things to do (for example) this afternoon while Aidan is napping, and I’m only on item TWO. And… it’s been an hour and a half. YIKES! I think I need a *little* more time throughout the day/week to get all the many many things done for final prep for winter.
Well, thanks for listening to all that random nonsense. Now, onto the recipe!
Here is a new one for you. I actually had never heard of this for dinner until after marrying Derrick who specifically requested this dish. WHAAA!? Well, first of all, BRILLIANT and secondly DELICIOUS. So, off we went to concur turning this family favorite into a low sodium dish. And, if I do say so myself, we had great success!
- 8 Bell Peppers
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 can no-salt added corn
- 2 tbsp. Mrs. Dash
- 3 tsp.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Start with the peppers, slicing the tops off and gutting the inside; rinse and set aside. Bring a pot of water to boil and then blanch your peppers for approximately 2 minutes, removing with a spotted spoon and arranging them into a glass baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and cook until the onion appears translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the ground beef and sauté until it is fully cooked fully, seasoning with Mrs. Dash, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- When the meat is finished, mix it into a bowl with the rice, can corn, can of undrained tomatoes and optionally add most of the cheese here. Spoon the mixture into your peppers and top with remaining cheese.
- Add a little water to the bottom of the baking dish (just enough to cover the bottom, and pop it into the oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy this luscious low sodium meal!